Tuesday, October 21, 2008

ski-hike

October in Anchorage and that means skiing...sort of. I went out of the O'Malley trail head today and started skiing up the gas line trail.

Temp was just above freezing and I had forgotten to use the fancy spray on my waxless skis so they started grabbing and collecting snow.


As I was taking this shot there was barking from behind me:


Up trotted a greyhound wearing a sweater/ saddle. That dog is going to have a tough time when the cold hits:


A little while after this I took off the skis and carried them as I hiked up the gas line. When I was ready to turn around, I put the skis back on and had a fun descent.


Here is looking back towards Anchorage:


The alder trees look really good in this snow and I tried to capture the vast puzzle that they form, but it's one of those things you have to see in person:
When I got back to my car there was a bitch barking in the middle of the street...at nothing. I felt bad for her, but her ears were back and she was not approachable, so I couldn't get a look at her tags (or let her take me to her owner down the well as Lassie would have). Hopefully her owner heard her.

No comments: