Monday, July 21, 2008

Sitka!


It's been a while...we've been very busy and I STILL DON'T HAVE MY BIKE FIXED!! Getting a little cranky riding on the road so much.
Earlier this month the Mrs. came on an overnight with me to Sitka, Alaska. It was a pretty nice day for a hike so we went out to see some totem poles.
There is a really famous artist that does these totem poles and you get to see where he works and the wood he chooses, etc. It's like looking at the marble to be used by Michael Angelo, because if you are into totem poles he IS your guy. Too bad I can't remember his name.
Here is some of the lovely coast that day:
We had a fancy dinner at the hotel where we stayed because in Alaska it is expensive to eat out and I'll take the 20% off the hotel meals when I can.
We saw some Russian Orthodox architecture and climbed the historic hill where they exchanged the Russian flag for the American one when Seward got us a pretty good deal on some land.

No comments: